Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Week 18 - October 27, 2014 - Owensboro, Kentucky

Dear World, 

     Due to various things, these past few weeks have been interesting.  Ya...I think interesting is the right word.  Anyway,  we were fully expecting my trainer to get transferred.  She has been in the area a while, and now my training is done.  We were waiting for the calls on Saturday.  We heard that one of the Elders was the new District Leader so we knew things were going down.  So we waited...and waited...and waited.  I guess not.  Well, then we eventually got a text that I was leaving.  Let me just say that my heart dropped.  What!?  I was not expecting that at all.  We confirmed it later, and it was all true.  I am leaving Owensboro.  I can honestly say that I was really upset.  I did not want to leave all of the amazing people here.  I had no idea that I could come to love so many people so quickly.  I almost started crying.  And don't tell anyone, but later that night, I totally did.  But it was good for me to know that I was capable of loving the people so quickly and so much.  I have always had this fear that I was not going to be able to give part of myself.  I kept thinking that I would shut all of those emotions inside, like I am so good at doing.  But with a lot of prayer, I was able to allow myself to love the people.  I truly care about them, and want to help them.  I am so lucky that I got to serve here.  
 
     Well, now on to the transfer.  I have no idea where I go or who I will serve with.  I am nervous, but also excited.  I finally feel like I know exactly what I want to be, and how to apply the things that I have learned a little better.  My trainer always says that when you leave your trainer it is a new start, and you get to really be who you want to be.  It will be nice to get to start fresh, but I will sure miss it here.  I was looking forward to getting to know people better.
 
I have also learned some other things while here in Owensboro:  
 
1. You will never ever have enough time to study all the scriptures and materials that you want.  You may hope to read everything, but there is no way to get in depth on everything, and that is really disappointing.
 
2. What you do study, you have to pray, and pray, and pray to remember, and then you have to study it again.  You have to draw maps and diagrams and write everything down, all in hopes to remember at least one scripture.
 
3. I am absolutely horrendous at memorizing.-Enough said.  We already knew that one.
 
4. You can never compare yourself to others.  You should focus solely on your progression.  God gave you certain talents and other people other talents.  You have to always be your best - whatever, that may be.
 
5. Be your best self.  You can always improve, but don't be so frustrated at your self for being imperfect that you send yourself going backwards.  Because... well that is just dumb.
 
I learned a lot of other things too, but I don't have room to put them all on here.
 
     Overall, I am really going to miss Owensboro.  It has been a great place to start my mission.
I love everyone at home.  Happy Birthday to Grace and Liam.  Welcome Home, LesLe.  Love you all.
 
     Please give Les a HUGE hug for me and tell her that I love her a ton.
 
Love,
Hermana Gamett 

No comments:

Post a Comment