So, this past school semester has been interesting, but I think that it is safe to say that I have learned a lot and the adjustment from Kentucky to here has been rough, but good. Overall, good things and bad things have passed, but I have learned from them all. I took a class this semester in the hopes of improving my ability to plan and be financially secure. Let's be real! I took the class to make sure that I had my crap together and with the hopes that I would be able to not let anything blindside me. So, there I sat for an entire semester working on projects, reading chapters, not exactly everything that I wanted to do all the time. However, looking back I am starting to see some of the benefits that came along with the class.
Anyway, as part of the class I was assigned a topic, asked to write a research paper on said topic, present on said topic, and do a project associated with that same topic. Of course, I get gender gap, earnings gap, and the glass ceiling. Well, thanks to the wisdom of my English teacher, I had learned that a research paper can have a twist, therefore, I set off to make this something that I was passionate about and something that I enjoyed. The paper finished, and I found myself preparing to write the outline for my presentation. Once again, trying to find a twist other than just the same old raise awareness.
I, eventually, came to the conclusion that it was more important for everyone to focus on developing individual talents and become the best them that they could be. So, I set off to find ways to accomplish that goal.
Then, once again, I got reminded of my practitioner project, a project meant to implement the things that I researched in a plan of action. I was not exactly excited, but I was determined to do something that I would enjoy doing. I was at school to learn for crying out loud! I thought through all of the different projects that I could do. I could hand out brochures. My heart wasn't in it. I could make a blog, nobody reads my school blogs. What could I do that I actually cared about, that would make a difference and help others in some way.
I thought about all of the things that were important to me, and it hit me. I could teach others how to learn more effectively and how to retain information that they learned. This was something that I had been working on my whole life, and...well... why not!?
I put together a powerpoint presentation that I would use to teach those around my, and then, with my newly found love for human anatomy, especially the brain, I would teach someone the information and then evaluate it. I took a few classes from an online course and compiled information that my teachers had taught me over the years.
I then used some of that time to study for a brain anatomy test that I was going to be having in anther class. I tried to condense that information into a small study guide and short lesson plan. I gave that study guide to my siblings before coming home on Easter and made them fill it out. Much to my amazement, the paper was extremely full of information and detailed diagrams of the brain, and what they filled out (Lafe even cited his sources).
Then I taught them all the techniques, and the biology and psychology, for successful learning, many of which they already knew. I then taught them about the brain. I was expecting them to be bored. I expected it to get over with little to no questions. Whether to make me feel good or because they may have actually enjoyed it, I am not sure, but they asked a lot of great questions and had some great responses. In the end I came to the realization that I was using the BYUI learning model. The model consists of preparation, teach one another, and ponder/prove. They were able to prepare, learn and then they took a test over the information.
It was really cool to see how others learn and to see how everyone learns the same things. It was a fun project and I learned some interesting things. Although I was unable to see the full results, because Kali and Lafe were in school and finals week has yet to end.
Overall, learning is really important and helps us develop our skills and abilities. As we develop these skills and abilities, we can contribute more to society and the world. I just seem to keep learning that. Learning is amazing!
No comments:
Post a Comment