So, this week has been pretty good - busy and working, but good.
So, this week we decided to help this lady that we teach to stop smoking. She has to stay at home and can't go to church, but she has already read through the entire Book of Mormon again, and she is going through the Doctrine and Covenants like there is no tomorrow. She basically rocks. Anyway, she has been wanting to stop smoking. She did stop a few weeks ago for about 4 days, but then she started smoking again. Well, we decided that we were going to get this thing started. So, we decided to do a program called the 15 steps program with her. It is a program that has worked for most people, and helps people to stop smoking. Anyway, so we walk in and say that we are going to help her stop smoking. She looked at us and said, "All right, but I stopped on Sunday". Well, alrighty then! We still went through the program with her and she was totally committed to it. We, or a member of the ward, talks to her everyday and she still hasn't had a cigarette. But, Wait! There is more. As part of the program we hang up signs all over the house to remind her that she doesn't want to smoke. As we were hanging up these signs, she informed us that she wanted us to hang up some on the outside of her door so that people would know that she was done smoking. Alright!!
So we did and she has had a lot of people ask her what they are. She also has a lady that wants us to do the program with her. So, like I said, she basically rocks. She is the sweetest lady ever and told us to tell our families thank you for letting us come over here. So far, she hasn't had a cigarette and every time she has the urge to have a cigarette, she reads her scriptures. So far, so good.
Here is more from this fine week. I have decided that to learn the language better, I have to speak it more. There is a member here who lived a few years in Mexico as a child and he is now a Spanish teacher- so I would say a good source to learn Spanish. He said that we are trained to read and write. So naturally, we are going to be good at reading and writing in the language we are learning. That skill will come first. He said that we haven't used our "learn to speak" skills since we were little ( he said this in more psychological terms, which I actually understood like dendrites and such- Go Psychology), so those come later and are a lot harder for us to learn. That made sense to me, so I decided that for my personal study I was going to start speaking in Spanish. O yea, me and the wall or the pillow or the couch, or the bug on the wall that won't live too much longer, have some great conversations in Spanish about the gospel. My companion probably thinks that I am crazy, but ,hey, I even found myself thinking in Spanish about what I wanted for lunch. Yep, those talks with the wall are working miracles.
So, everything is going well. I am happy, blessed, learning (in English and Spanish) and so far so good. Love you all,
Hermana Gamett
Current Address:
Hermana Gamett
1017 Venable Ave. #10
Owensboro, KY 42301
Owensboro, KY 42301
No comments:
Post a Comment