Humidity and Hair Don't Mix
Well, this week has been a changing point, breaking point, explosion, or any other synonym that you can think of for great. I am finally getting closer to the missionary that I want to be. And yes, my hair is exploding with it.
This week we had a sister training leader come and do a blitz with us. A blitz is when the Hermanas that are in charge come and work in our area, but we split up from our companion and work alone with the sister training leaders. Needless to say, it ROCKED!!! The sister training leader taught me soooooo much. She taught me how to talk to people better, and how to share this message with everyone. She also taught me how important it is to love everyone and to treat all people with kindness. I really learned from her what it means to be a representative of Christ.
So deciding to be a missionary, I naturally had this idea in my head of the missionary that I wanted to be. As time has progressed, I have struggled to see where that missionary would come in. I often thought, "Well, maybe that is just not how it is done" or "Maybe I was crazy." Gradually, I started to convince myself that I was being absurd, and no matter how hard I worked I would never get to be that missionary or maybe that missionary didn't exist. But, just a few weeks ago, I caught that vision again, and when the sister training leader came, I caught that vision fully again. Wow! What a blessing! I can be that missionary! She just needs some work, but she is in here somewhere.
So the scripture that Kali gave me as her favorite scripture is Ether 12:27.
And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.
As we all know, we all have weaknesses. But I became extremely aware of mine a little earlier this year. I struggled. I really did. There was no way that I was going to overcome some of them, but I just kept trusting in God, and working as best as I could to get better. Needless to say, I was getting pretty down. However, this past week I got back up. I feel like the progress I have made this week has been a huge turning point. As the scripture says, weak things may be made strong. And when we trust in the Lord, he will be our strength.
So this week was great! I talked to more people. My companion translated in church and I got to hear that. (Glad I don't have to do that yet). I understand more Spanish, and I am super happy. What a great week.
So more on this great week. There were some great storm clouds that rolled into the place called Owensboro. They started to get low and man, was that wind blowing. We were at a member's house and thought, "Wow! Maybe a tornado was on its way!" Secretly, I was a little excited! A real tornado!!! (I guess they supposedly had one at home too- Dad told me of the one this week) But hey, don't tell anyone here that I was excited! So, as the rains came down, it got pretty crazy. The little boy in the family said that he was pretty sure that a tornado was coming. Well, it wasn't a tornado, but there was a ton of rain, and A TON of lightning. Naturally, for this Idaho small town girl, the first thing that pops into my head is, "Wow! What a blessing." Then I remember that the Ohio River is right next to us and it rains ALLLLLL the time here. Well, that was a great storm to be in. I loved it!
When it isn't raining, it is oh so nice and humid. I have tried everything known to man (ok- just to me -which isn't much) to keep my hair down. I pull it up and soon...POOF. Then I curl it. Well, that is not really a pleasant sight. I don't know how to explain that one...but not good. So then I think, "Well, I have naturally straight hair. Maybe I should just straighten it. So far, it has gotten a little better when it is straight, but still...POOF. Oh, how I love humidity. Although my hair doesn't do super great in humidity, I actually don't mind it as much as I thought I would.
Well, off I go, but 1 more huge breakthrough. I think I saw my first cockroach this week. Yep! I can now say that I have experienced it all.
Well Hasta luego,
Hermana Gamett
Bridge on the road from Indiana to Owensboro
Welcome to Kentucky sign
Big Storm
No comments:
Post a Comment