Thursday, August 14, 2014

Weeks 6 & 7 - August 11, 2014 - Owensboro, Kentucky

Welcome to Owensboro, Kentucky!  - Fast food capital and "hometown" of Johnny Depp.
  
So, first off - last week.  Sunday night, we just stayed up packing, cleaning, and such.  At 2:30 AM, we boarded the buses and headed to the airport.  It was fairly simple to get on the plane, but I made the other Hermanas promise me that they would not leave me for customs.  We finally boarded the plane and as I was so excited to finally see Mexico City in the day light, lo and behold, I fell asleep.  Ya, so I guess I have one more reason to go back.  
 
     Eventually, we arrived in Texas and they made us go through customs.  Well, lucky me, they didn't have my paper ready, so everyone left me but one.  I didn't know this Hermana very well, but she stayed.  I am not going to lie.  I was a little bit of a disaster.  Then they informed us that we had to get on a train, and that our flight was leaving soon.  What?  Airports have trains?  Well, apparently airports have trains (something that goes on tracks) because that is what we got on.  It was there that I had a very intense internal pep talk reminding me that I needed to pull myself together.  So I pulled myself together and we got to our flight.  It was delayed, but before we knew it, we were flying over green hills and trees.  We had arrived!  So, life was good.  We got off to find President Brough, his wife, and his assistants there to greet us.  That was a great sight to see.  They were so kind and welcoming.  
 
     There were some really good things from this initial experience.  I did get to sleep on the plane and I even spoke to the girl next to us in Spanish ( like a whole 3 sentences!!!)  I can now fly internationally.  I am going to miss Mexico a whole lot.  We were also the first set of missionaries that President Brough has received.
 
     Back to my story.  So, we waited a little while for  the Provo missionaries and then loaded up in vans and headed to the mission home.  There I enjoyed the first home cooked meal I have had in 6 weeks - talk about great!  We had some trainings and interviews with the President, and  then got to go to bed.  It was a great nights sleep, to say the least.  The next morning, we ate another great breakfast, and after a nice training, we were off to meet our trainers and have the rest of our training for that day.  After that, we did all the pictures and the extras, and then we headed off to our new areas.  The drive was great.  We hit Indiana and the whole time I was thinking, "This is the state where my dad served."  It was beautiful.  Green, green, green!!!  Lots and lots of trees.  And now we are here in Owensboro, and I love it here!
 
     Owensboro is great.  The people remind me a lot of home.  There is a small branch here and 3 sets of missionaries.  There are 4 elders here that speak English- 2 trainers, and 2 trainees.  And then there is Us- the Spanish sisters. We can't contact like they do- because well... we speak Spanish, but we are trying to do our best.    
 
    O there is so much to say and I just can't make it sound pretty!  Ok.  So my trainer is from Utah/ Arizona.  Her name is Hermana Porter.  She is super nice and really put together.  She can even make homemade Chick-Fil-A.  She is basically great.
 
    So, naturally, we got straight to work.  We visited people, and I got to meet some of the great people of Kentucky.
 
Hermana Gamett
 
 
                  
  Mexico City CCM
 
Leaves that look like bugs in Mexico City
 
 
 
Back in the United States
 
 
Bug in the United States
 
 
 
 
 
           
            
New bike
 
 
           
 

No comments:

Post a Comment