Well, I can honestly say that this week was a busy week. We had a lot going on, and it turns out we were on National news!
So, about the flooding- Yes, it did so nicely flood here in Louisville, Kentucky. Let's just say that the effects of getting excited everytime it rains (because we will have water!), quickly faded - especially when it downpours like it does here. This past week, we had some pretty crazy downpours. We went out in one- just to get to the car-and ended up totally drenched in water. Good times! It can be kind of fun walking through the rain, though.
Thursday night, the rain started coming down. It was the first time in a while that I heard a lot of thunder as well. Pretty soon, we were seeing lightning. It was fun, preparing for bed watching the lightning. Then it started pouring. It is not unusual for it to rain all night here. I am used to waking up to the pitter patter- (Ok - more like waterfalls) - out my window, but it was really going Thursday night. And then there were often huge claps of thunder and huge flashes of lightning. Only a few times did it wake me up. However, all was good. The next morning, we were oh-so-nicely arising to many, many sirens. I will admit, I was a little confused as to why there would be so many fire trucks in the rain. But, hey, it's all good! So, we would hear one... and soon another. Ok. That's all fine - still raining, but all is well.
So, we continued preparing for the day. President and Sister Brough were going to be coming to pick us up from our house for a missionary meeting in Jasper, Kentucky (by good old Owensboro). So, we headed outside to wait for them. Yet again, we heard fire truck after fire truck. All was well...I thought. Pretty soon, President and Sister Brough arrived, and that is when we saw what was really going down. We walked out from the protection of our home and saw the plume of smoke. President Brough explained that one of the warehouses had caught on fire, and that parts of Lousiville were under water. If I am not mistaken, the warehouse for GE that was on fire is in our area. Luckily, we were not flooded, but someone said that the apartments across the street were flooded.
Apparently, there were some apartments further south that really got flooded.
And as we were leaving Louisville, we saw some of the really flooded areas. So, fire and water can co-exist! The missionaries that were living in the possibly flooded areas, were not flooded.
And as we were leaving Louisville, we saw some of the really flooded areas. So, fire and water can co-exist! The missionaries that were living in the possibly flooded areas, were not flooded.
Unlike Idaho, Kentucky does not have mountains and the whole state got a lot of rain - Indiana, too. So much of our travels to Jasper consisted of HUGE flooded areas, many detours, and the gift of a lovely GPS! It was pretty incredible. Since the area is pretty flat, or at least has a lot of hills, it was pretty incredible to see that much water over such a huge area. The freeway was closed in some areas so we took some detours, but some of those areas were very close to flooded roads. There was one area that we drove where the water was about 6 inches (to my really great guessing eyes) from the road.
However, nature knows how to care for itself and it all went down very quickly! Quite the experience. So, in the end, we got to witness some really cool things. When we got back home, the missionaries were allowed to go back out again (They had to stay in for a while due to a bad air threat.) So, the work continued. God's work always moves forward. It was really amazing!
So, with all of this crazy fire and flood and mother nature, did you learn anything spiritual, Hermana Gamett? Well, of course!
We had a new missionary training with the AP's and the President. I got to ride with President and Sister Brough. Just being around them was a huge blessing. They gave us an amazing training there, as well. It is always nice to know that other missionaries have gone through some of the same things that you are going through or have gone through. They really did an amazing job!
Then, of course, we watched General Conference. Thanks to a family who always loved conference, I enjoyed every moment of it! As a missionary, I had no idea how much I needed that spiritual uplift and confidence. It was amazing to listen to those inspired men, and it will certainly help me be a better person. I truly was strengthened.
It was evident to me that we must be strong in what we believe, and truly know what we know. It is not enough to believe in something, but we must be living it. We should never lower our standards based upon popular approval. It truly is something that we should have all learned in high school, but always tend to forget how to apply. This general conference I really remembered how important my family is to me, and how important it is to keep those values strong. I am so blessed to be raised in a family that loves me, and I want that for the rest of the world so they can experience those joys as well. NEVER BE AFRAID! You know what you believe! That means that you live it, and you express it. You exercise the right to share it.
Well, I would love to say more, but I realized how inadequate I am at getting all of this across. Just go listen to the conference, again-I know dad will have the CD's soon! :P It truly was amazing!
The Church is true, Jesus the Christ lived, and He lives again. We are guided by His prophets ( who I sustain) to accept of His Atonement so that we can return back to our Heavenly Father.
I love you all,
Hermana Gamett
P.S. IPADs will be here in May!
CURRENT ADDRESS:
Hermana Heather Gamett
2308 Hikes Lane Apt. G-52
Louisville, KY 40218
2308 Hikes Lane Apt. G-52
Louisville, KY 40218
No comments:
Post a Comment