Saturday, December 6, 2014

Week 21 - November 17, 2014 - Louisville, Kentucky

     Ok, so first off- I kind of sort of forgot my Camera so, sorry that you won't get pictures of the snow that arrived last night!!!!  Idaho girl is in Heaven.  However, we are going to run thrift store shopping today to get some supplies :).
 
    Ok, so this week was horrible.  I was not happy.  We didn't know where to go.  I was getting frustrated with everything-myself, my companion-bless her heart she wasn't doing anything wrong.  She was being her adorable self.  It was just rough.  Everything was difficult.  It was one of the first times in my mission where I really didn't want to go out and work.  I was just not happy, and I was really irritated.  But one night, as I was getting really frustrated and my companion was going to help me by getting ice cream as dessert to our dinner, I got a letter, from a lovely aunt of mine.  I read it, and we were going to all be ok.  I was ready to get back to work.   Now, keep in mind, I am in a great place- we saw miracles, like finding people to teach- all throughout this craziness.  We both kept struggling, but kept going.  It was hard. I wont lie.
Finally, the weekend came.  Like I said, the week was still good.  We found some people that really wanted to listen and we taught them, but it just seemed bad.  Anyway, we headed back over there and talked with the husband, and when we asked him what his favorite part was, he showed us a picture of Joseph Smith.  We also went and talked to another lady, and she was really interested.  We also were able to talk to another man that had come to church, but we couldn't ever seem to give him a lesson.  Saturday around 2:00, I got a call that I needed to give a talk in church.  So we ran over to the library to print off the conference talk in Spanish.  Oh, and just my luck, it is one by D. Todd Christofferson who uses some big words.  It was all good though- it was on agency so I could try to tie that in to something everyone could attempt to understand- o yeah!  - except for the fact that it would be in Spanish.  Oh boy!
 
     Anyway, Sunday rolls around, and that is when crazy hits.  We had 4 investigators that wanted to come to church.  4!!!! That is crazy!!!!  (See.  My week was good, but I just didn't see it.)  Our investigators have only been here a few months, so they don't have cars.  So, on Saturday, we started asking around for rides.  No one.  So we continued to look for people.  Sunday hits.  We both have talks to write.  So, we do that for a while.  Part way through that and getting rides arranged, we get this call to teach the Sunday school lesson for the youth.  We've got this.  We teach everyday.  No biggy... but wait.  Topic...How to be economically self-sufficient.  Yep.. well, guys, save your money.  No it was really good.  We just didn't have the manual or anything- so you could say our living room was covered in ensigns. 
 
     O yeah! But we still need rides!  Ok- call- call- call-call- call.  Finally! - Got everyone a ride.  Talk - Sort of prepared.  Lesson - We'll see.  ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
 
     Anyways, we get to church.  I was supposed to talk for 15-20 minutes.  I spoke and all was well.   I am pretty sure that it was only like 10 minutes, but when you don't speak much Spanish- well... yeah.  We couldn't find the classroom for the youth.  More things, but I will save you the details.
 
     This is also where the miracle is.  The people at church were amazing.  They talked to our investigators.  They made them feel so welcome.  The other missionaries took them in.  They talked to them, and helped out so much.  In Relief Society, the missionaries and investigators doubled the Relief Society, and the members were all about explaining simply and answering questions.  The president made sure they had rides to the activities and wow!!!! It was amazing.  One of the investigators said some amazing things in there about us missionaries.  I had no idea that we meant that much to her, but it made it all worth it.  Anyway,  more amazing things.  That night we went and talked with everyone.  We had this instantaneously better relationship with everyone.  We even set a baptismal date with one.  In all reality, I pray that never ever do I forget this last week.
 
     But there is so much more to the story than that. 
 
     Looking back, I realized that Satan knows when good things are going to happen, and he attacks us in the way that is most likely to stop us.  But, as we have faith and work hard, he can do nothing about it because God is in charge.  God also expects us to work hard and to grow, and as we go through these hard times, he isn't going to let us fail.  He lets us go through them to help us grow, and then he blesses us.  He makes up the difference for our inadequacies, because, let's face it-2 new girls in an amazing area-1 very new to Spanish-I need help.  I really came to the realization that it is Him who teaches and He expects us to do our best and have faith, then He blesses us.  
 
I don't have much time, but that was just part of my week.  I also taught a lesson about the Book of Mormon to a woman and asked her to be baptized, and she accepted!  I believe that is my first.  We also saw a whole lot more miracles.  Really was an amazing week!
 
 Love you all,
Hermana Gamett

No comments:

Post a Comment