Thursday, March 5, 2015

Week 33 - February 17, 2015 - Louisville, Kentucky


Good Morning Snow day!!! 

Yep!  It’s all true.  We woke up Monday morning to a nice little layer of snow, or so we thought.  Well, it nicely snowed all day resulting in no driving, many car wrecks, school canceled, and lots of letter writing.  All in all- interesting. We got the text to not leave until today, but then we got one that we could work on foot.  I was pumped.  We would get to go trudging through the snow.  I haven't been in snow like this for a while. It was great.  The snow was everywhere!  Anyway, my companion was not too pumped, but she was a good sport about it.  We finally arrived at the conclusion that we should probably not walk too far in the dark and the cold, but we did get to talk to some people outside.  We also had some phone lessons.  I was one happy camper in that snow.  And man am I glad that I have driven in it before.  The Idaho in me is still here.  All I want to do is shovel sidewalks, and walk through it.  O, man I love it!!! Even in a dress!!! 

 Anyway, my week was filled with greatness.  We learned and grew a lot.  We had lot of trainings this week.  We had a training on rules where we all learned about obedience and  how each rule has a reason.  As we disobey, we diminish our ability to feel the spirit.  We also talked a lot about helping get others to the temple.  That is the end goal, and that is a goal we should be helping people set.  We also had Stake conference this week.  We learned about scripture study and prayer - How those are so important to a family.  I learned that as we teach with these tools and use them in our daily lives, families will be strengthened.  I also learned that we have to share the gospel with our fellow brothers and sisters here.  The stake president really is going strong on missionary work.  It is really great! 

    These were all amazing conferences, but the most amazing was a conference that we had with Elder Christofferson.  He came here!  We felt of his love.  (I put off writing this until the last because I didn't think that I could do it justice, but now I am out of time.)  I was so nervous.  I did not want to have done anything wrong that would make me a bad missionary.  Of course, my companion wanted to sit in the front.  I did too, but I was so nervous.  What if I was going to be the one that did something wrong?  There were so many things that I could have done wrong. I was really nervous, but I reminded myself that if I was doing something wrong I would want to know, so I embraced it.  

So, it was silent.  We were all studying away-  Enjoying our Book of Mormons and Preach my Gospel, when we all heard voices in the hall.  Needless to say, every head turned. We all stood and they walked  in.  It was powerful.  You could feel of the love that Elder Christofferson brought to us, the missionaries.  I wasn't afraid of him or his criticism ( which he didn't give).  He just emanated  love -  Christlike love.  It was amazing!  We were so blessed to be able to have him there. He and Elder Suarez were there to teach us and talk to us.  Our mission president invited us all to come with a question.  They were powerful speakers. But it wasn't through their words that they touched the hearts of the missionaries, it was through the power that they had within them.   

I don't have words to express how I felt, or the time to write this well, but I want to be like them.  I want to radiate of Christ's love.  I want to be so Christlike that others can feel of his love by just being around me.  I want them to honestly see Christ in my countenance.  I am nowhere near there yet, but I am trying.  I learned some things there that I will sum up rather quickly, but things that hit me with an amazing force. 

1.  We, as missionaries, are an extension of the Apostles.  We are called under their power to go where they cannot always go.  We have a calling and a job more important than we could ever imagine.

2.  It is good and right to ask for others' advise.  Elder Christofferson would often ask for someone to look it up in the scriptures or share what they had  learned from it.  And he wasn't afraid to say that he hadn't thought of it like that before.

3.  People will have the desire to change when the Holy Ghost is acting upon them.  He was so kind to us. 

4.  It is ok to be funny.  Let's just say he is a funny guy. 

I learned so much there at the conference.  I love my mission.  I want to be more and more like Christ every day.  I learned so much from Elder Christofferson’s words, but so much from his deeds and kindness.  He honestly is a servant from the Lord.  I am so thankful for that.  I wish this was a better letter.  I don't know that it deserves to go out to you all, but I couldn't not tell you about the apostle that came to Lousville, Kentucky, and that I got to shake his hand, feel his spirit, and learn from him.  It was amazing!
 
Happy Birthday, Grandpa Bob! 

Love ya,
Hermana Gamett


 
 

Current Address: 
Hermana Heather Gamett
2308 Hikes Lane Apt. G-52
Louisville, KY 40218

No comments:

Post a Comment